Re: Excessive space allocations in Postgresql 9.1.6 system files causing the file system to run out of space.

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
To: "fburgess(at)radiantblue(dot)com" <fburgess(at)radiantblue(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Excessive space allocations in Postgresql 9.1.6 system files causing the file system to run out of space.
Date: 2013-03-07 19:56:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"fburgess(at)radiantblue(dot)com" <fburgess(at)radiantblue(dot)com> wrote:

> It looks like this script deletes all of the data file
> directories (and the data files) from the postgres 8.4.3
> instance. Since we used the "-k" option, which calls for hard
> links rather than copying files to the new cluster, wouldn't this
> be deleting the files?  If so, the DB would be corrupted beyond
> recovery if we run it.  Or am I missing something?

You need to read up on hard links a bit more.  Here's one source:

http://www.linfo.org/hard_link.html

In summary, a hard link allows multiple directory entries to point
to the same data location.  Until you delete the last directory
entry the file remains.

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company