Re: 9.3 Pre-proposal: Range Merge Join

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Stefan Keller <sfkeller(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)opengeo(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.3 Pre-proposal: Range Merge Join
Date: 2013-01-18 18:24:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2013-01-18 at 12:25 +0100, Stefan Keller wrote:
> Sounds good.
> Did you already had contact e.g. with Paul (cc'ed just in case)?
> And will this clever index also be available within all these hundreds
> of PostGIS functions?

Yes, I've brought the idea up to Paul before, but thank you.

It's not an index exactly, it's a new join algorithm that should be more
efficient for spatial joins. That being said, it's not done, so it could
be an index by the time I'm finished ;)

When it is done, it will probably need some minor work in PostGIS to
make use of it. But that work is done at the datatype level, and PostGIS
only has a couple data types, so I don't think it will be a lot of work.

Regards,
Jeff Davis