casting & type comments

From: Brett McCormick <brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: casting & type comments
Date: 1998-03-13 07:13:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

What do you all think about the fact that cast(anytype as varchar)
results in a call to a procedure that is not creatable with 'create
function'? Perhaps we should re-think our casting implementation,
maybe one that isn't based on just rewriting itself into a function
call :) If I wanted to call a function, I would :)

I can, however, do a create function with a different name, then
update that to varchar. the reason I can't, of course, is because the
grammar expects varchar(number), not varchar(argument types)..

there was probably a much better way of saying all that :)