Re: postgres --help-config

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: postgres --help-config
Date: 2003-10-13 22:36:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[ back from San Jose, catching up on email ]

> Is that enough feedback? :-)

Yup, thanks for the comments. I am not sure how much of the existing
--help-config functionality is actually needed by Red Hat's tool, so
I've asked those guys to respond.

Personally I agree with the idea of stripping out whatever functionality
isn't immediately necessary. It seems to me we've generally been more
successful by adding features in response to specific demand rather than
inventing things we think might be needed.