Commits 8de72b and 5457a1 (COPY FREEZE)

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Commits 8de72b and 5457a1 (COPY FREEZE)
Date: 2012-12-04 01:34:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=8de72b66a2edcf12c812de0a73bd50b6b7d81d62

Part of that patch was reverted later:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=5457a130d3a66db807d1e0ee2b8e829321809b83

I assume that refers to the discussion here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2012-02/msg01177.php

But that was quite a while ago, so is there a more recent discussion
that prompted this commit now?

I am a little confused about the case where setting HEAP_XMIN_COMMITTED
when loading the table in the same transaction is wrong. There was some
discussion about subtransactions, but those problems only seemed to
appear when the CREATE and the INSERT/COPY happened in different
subtransactions.

So, I guess my question is, why the partial revert?

Regards,
Jeff Davis