Re: Guidance needed to be a postgreSQL DBA

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: sravanch <sravan(dot)chalikonda(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Guidance needed to be a postgreSQL DBA
Date: 2012-10-20 17:40:59
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, 2012-10-08 at 21:27 -0700, sravanch wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am glad that i could share my interest here. i am working as a support for
> my project using postgresql for some time. i wish to become a dba.
> please guide me on what topics should i cover to become a dba. i have
> knowledge on sql, bit of dba activities like pg_dump, vaccum, ..etc it would
> be of great help if you would do guide me on this track.

There are a couple books you might find useful:

PostgreSQL 9 Administration Cookbook
PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance

Aside from that, just read the documentation and experiment with the
features, and try to get experience. Work on developing applications,
and admin the server(s) yourself.

And when you get stuck, send an email here or to pgsql-general.

I hope this helps,
Jeff Davis