Re: How do I upgrade or coexist PostgreSQL on a Cobalt XTR system?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: P G <pg_dba(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How do I upgrade or coexist PostgreSQL on a Cobalt XTR system?
Date: 2003-02-19 19:17:43
Lists: pgsql-admin

P G <pg_dba(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I have a Cobalt XTR system that uses PostgreSQL 7.0.2
> and I would like to either upgrade to PostgreSQL 7.3.1
> or install PostgreSQL 7.3.1 to co-exist on the same
> system.

Upgrading seems risky. If you run into incompatibilities, will you be
able to revert? I had the idea that some fairly fundamental Cobalt
services depend on their Postgres installation.

Coexistence, on the other hand, is trivial. Just pick a different
installation prefix, data directory, and port number for the 7.3
installation. For instance,
configure --prefix=/usr/local/something --with-pgport=5433