Re: Do the name of the WAL files matter?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "ml(at)bortal(dot)de" <ml(at)bortal(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do the name of the WAL files matter?
Date: 2009-04-14 16:48:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

"ml(at)bortal(dot)de" <ml(at)bortal(dot)de> writes:
> do the names of the WAL Files matter when doing a restore?

Yes.

> I would like to modify the archive command and give the target WAL file
> some better name.

Don't even think about it --- unless you are prepared to reverse the
change during restore. You could possibly rename NNNNNN to
postgresql-wal-NNNNNN or something like that, and then back again in
the restore script. But pray tell what is the point? Just put them
in a subdirectory that explains what they are, and save yourself some
trouble.