Re: reporting reason for certain locks

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: reporting reason for certain locks
Date: 2010-11-25 16:14:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On the other hand, pg_locks is already rather unwieldy to use. We
> already have a self-join that tells us the details of what's locking
> processes: you need to join pg_locks like this:
> and throw in a bunch of left joins to see the details of database,
> relation, etc.

Sure. I'm just suggesting one more left join to see if there's a tuple
lock.

> This works fine for all kinds of locks except xid and
> vxid ones. I don't think it's fair to users to expect that they need to
> deal with that mess *plus* the details of tuple locks.

Well, what was in the back of my mind was that we should create a join
of this sort as a stock system view, which would certainly improve
usability across the board. Getting to consensus on exactly what the
view should contain might be hard though.