Re: Do we really need a 7.4.22 release now?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do we really need a 7.4.22 release now?
Date: 2008-09-20 21:49:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Of course we need to define what maintenance mode only means.

> We effectively put each release into maintenance mode on day 1, ISTM.

Well, that would depend on your definition of "maintenance mode" ;-)

Your statement would be true if you define it as "no new features" but
that is nowhere near what I have in mind here. I'm thinking something
closer to "we'll only fix critical security and data-loss risks"; and
it would only apply to releases that are approaching the end of their
life cycle.

In particular, we need to define things in a way that explains/justifies
changing more stuff in 8.3 than in 7.4. "Maintenance mode starts on
day of release" is not only unhelpful but counterproductive for that
discussion.