Re: reducing statistics write overhead

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martin Pihlak <martin(dot)pihlak(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: reducing statistics write overhead
Date: 2009-01-07 14:44:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Martin Pihlak <martin(dot)pihlak(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> As I understand the autovacuum workers need up to date stats to minimize the
> risk of re-vacuuming a table (in case it was already vacuumed by someone else).

I never understood why autovacuum should need a particularly short fuse
on the stats file age to start with. If the launcher is launching
multiple workers into the same database with only a few milliseconds
between them, isn't the launcher pretty broken anyhow? ISTM that stats
files even several seconds old ought to be plenty good enough.