Re: Improved (De)Serialization Support

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andy Pavlo <pavlo(at)cs(dot)brown(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improved (De)Serialization Support
Date: 2008-02-23 05:40:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andy Pavlo <pavlo(at)cs(dot)brown(dot)edu> writes:
> I have added support in readfuncs.c to write out Query and PlannedStmt objects
> using nodeToString() and then read them back in. We needed this so that we
> could use PREPARE and write the arguments to StorePreparedStatement() out to
> a file. We are going then read them back into Postgres on a different server
> and use EXECUTE.

Um, surely Query objects can be written/read already?

> 2) Would anyone be interested in committing my changes back to CVS?

I'm not very excited about adding a load of code that will never be
exercised during normal use. That will inevitably be a hotbed of
bit-rot. Now, if the feature that needs it is also being proposed for
inclusion in core, then maybe we could talk.