synchronous replication: blocking commit on the master

From: Jameison Martin <jameisonb(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: synchronous replication: blocking commit on the master
Date: 2012-02-28 00:36:26
Lists: pgsql-general

I have observed that a commit on a replication master hangs if there are no slaves to communicate with if synchronous replication is enabled. I believe I have seen a posting that this behavior is deliberate.

In my environment I'd prefer to have the master continue processing transactions if there is a failure at the slave. Questions:
* is there any way to allow the master proceed if the slave is unavailable (perhaps a configuration parameter I'm missing)?

* if not, is there any ideological objection to allowing the master to continue for users that would prefer that behavior?
Thanks.