Re: saved passwords deleted

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Vik Reykja <vikreykja(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, PgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: saved passwords deleted
Date: 2012-02-16 22:33:39
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 05:16 -0600, Michael Shapiro wrote:
> I have taken to making a copy of the password file so that when the
> connection fails and PgAdmin removes the password, I can put it back.

I think I've found your issue. Here is the way to trigger it:

1. Start PostgreSQL
2. Start pgAdmin
3. Connect to your server without typing a password (thanks to .pgpass)
4. Disconnect from your server
5. Stop PostgreSQL (not pgAdmin)
6. Connect to your server
--> error because PostgreSQL is not started
7. Start PostgreSQL
8. Connect to your server
--> pgAdmin asks for your password
if you click OK here without typing your password, then pgAdmin
records an empty password in the .pgpass file

The fix I pushed a few minutes ago doesn't allow pgAdmin to record an
empty password.

I suppose it'll fix your issue. If you can test the current code (master
or REL-1_14_0_PATCHES), that would be great.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info