PostgreSQL - Debian - Processes: postgres: writer process, etc.

From: Windybell <lmhelp1(at)orange(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL - Debian - Processes: postgres: writer process, etc.
Date: 2012-01-30 10:24:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

I am running the Debian Lenny PostgreSQL package (v.8.4).
When I issue the following command:

I am wondering what are these four last processes ("postgres: writer",
"postgres: wal writer", "postgres: autovacuum launcher" and "postgres: stats
collector")?
Their PPID is 3069.
What is weird to me is the "COMMAND" column as far as these four processes
are concerned.
In the "COMMAND "column I would expect a real command, not a description.
Can you explain?
(BTW, this is a novice question I'm asking...)

Thanks and best regards.