Re: return values of backend sub-main functions

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: return values of backend sub-main functions
Date: 2012-01-18 19:21:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On lör, 2012-01-07 at 16:41 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I suggest that we change PostgresMain(), PostmasterMain(), BackendRun(),
> > WalSenderMain(), and WalSndLoop() to return void as well.
>
> I agree this code is not very consistent or useful, but one question:
> what should the callers do if one of these functions *does* return?

I was thinking of a two-pronged approach: First, add
__attribute__((noreturn)) to the functions. This will cause a suitable
compiler to verify on a source-code level that nothing actually returns
from the function. And second, at the call site, put an abort(); /*
not reached */. Together, this will make the code cleaner and more
consistent, and will also help the compiler out a bit about the control
flow.