Re: Implicit coercions need to be reined in

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Implicit coercions need to be reined in
Date: 2001-11-22 17:03:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> One more thing is that instead of looking up a cast function from type A
> to type B as "returns A, is named A, takes arg B" it could be looked up as
> "returns A, takes arg B, is a cast function", which would generalize this
> whole thing a bit more.

I thought about that, but it would require keeping an extra index on
pg_proc (there's no efficient way to search by result type now). Not
clear that it's worth it, especially considering that there's really
only one reasonable name for a cast function anyway. What else would
you want to call it than the name of the destination type?

Also, this convention assures that there's at most *one* cast function
for any type coercion A to B. If the name could be anything then we'd
need some auxiliary mechanism to prevent conflicting cast functions
from being declared. Seems like a lot of mechanism for a dubious goal.