Re: Disable Transaction - plans ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: thomas(at)pgsql(dot)com
Cc: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>, "Dominic J(dot) Eidson" <sauron(at)the-infinite(dot)org>, Ben-Nes Michael <miki(at)canaan(dot)co(dot)il>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disable Transaction - plans ?
Date: 2001-10-25 00:52:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org> writes:
> There is a client-side termination handshake, and it could be tied to
> that. If we can distinguish between an intentional exit and an
> unexpected termination, then istm that a commit would be safe to apply
> for the former.

I assert that we cannot safely determine that; it's too easy for a
client logic error to tell libpq to close the connection at the wrong
time, and we should NOT default to committing when that happens.

I think a client using this mode should be expected to send an explicit
commit command before exiting.