Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf
Date: 2011-09-16 12:13:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On fre, 2011-09-16 at 01:32 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> As far as the other issues go, I think there is actually a
> prerequisite
> discussion to be had here, which is whether we are turning the
> recovery
> parameters into plain old GUCs or not. If they are plain old GUCs,
> then
> they will presumably still have their values when we are *not* doing
> recovery. That leads to a couple of questions:
> * will seeing these values present in pg_settings confuse anybody?

How so? We add or change the available parameters all the time.

> * can the values be changed when not in recovery, if so what happens,
> and again will that confuse anybody?

Should be similar to archive_command and archive_mode. You can still
see and change archive_command when archive_mode is off.

> * is there any security hazard from ordinary users being able to see
> what settings had been used?

Again, not much different from the archive_* settings. They are, after
all, almost the same in the opposite direction.