Re: Couple document fixes

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kevin(dot)grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Couple document fixes
Date: 2011-09-05 18:36:21
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of lun sep 05 15:21:46 -0300 2011:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > Discussed the idea a bit on IM with Bruce, but couldn't find any really
> > good alternative. Idea floated so far:
> >
> > * byte (seems pretty decent to me)
> > * octet (though maybe people would expect it'd output as a number)
> > * char1 (looks ugly, but then we have int4 and so on)
> > * achar (this one is just plain weird)
> >
> > None seems great. Thoughts?
>
> Any new ideas on how to document our "char" data type?

I think part of the problem is that this only seems to bother patch
developers, and only until they become aware of the issue. After that,
it just becomes a known gotcha that's easy to work around. Thus,
there's not much interest in spending a lot of time fixing it.