Re: sgml cleanup: unescaped '>' characters

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: sgml cleanup: unescaped '>' characters
Date: 2011-09-03 22:22:24
Lists: pgsql-docs

On lör, 2011-09-03 at 16:47 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > > If I have:
> > >
> > > if (1 < fred)
> > >
> > > it will think "fred" is a SGML tag, no?
> >
> > No, a < followed by a space is not a tag, it's character data. If it
> > thought it were a tag, it would complain.
>
> Sometimes it is '<' (in single quotes), which I thought would be a
> problem.

The bottom line is, the SGML parser can figure that out itself, and if
it has a problem, it will complain. We don't need to second guess it
with regular expressions that are handcrafted out of thin air.

I was hoping you would remember whether you initially put this in
because of some tool problem. But if we are not finding any supporting
evidence, I would suggest that we just scrap this thing entirely.