Re: Help me improve the 9.1 release draft

From: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help me improve the 9.1 release draft
Date: 2011-08-25 13:53:04
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Am Donnerstag, den 25.08.2011, 16:47 +0300 schrieb Peter Eisentraut:
> On ons, 2011-08-24 at 17:00 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Here's a considerably expanded and improved 9.1 release:
> >
> > http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/91releasedraft
> >
> > I'd like to get this to the translators in the next 48 hours, so please
> > send me last-minute corrections!
>
> This looks a bit funny:
>
> """
> Linguistic Sorting using Collations: Improve multilingual (M17n)
> correctness and user-friendliness with proper and consistent linguistic
> sorting rules. PostgreSQL linguistic sort supports monolingual and
> multilingual text and is often requested for sorting of diacritics.
> Sorting can be performed using language/locale-specific rules or using
> UTF-8 for multilingual sorting. For flexibility, collations can be set
> on columns, domains, indexes and expressions.
> """
>
> I don't know how one would get from "multilingual" to "M17n".  Also, we
> don't support "multilingual text", which is text that consists of
> multiple languages(?).  Also, you can't sort "using UTF-8".

Heh, I wondered the same and pointed that out to Josh on IRC earlier
today.

M17n expands to "Multilingualization"; I do not think that is a common
enough expansion that people won't think "how do they get from
multilingual to m17n??", so either adding that in parenthesis, or just
using that instead of "multililngual" (if grammar allows) would be
better IMO.

Whether or not it is applicable at all is another matter, of course.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Tel.: +49 (0) 2161 / 4643-171

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz