How to auto swtich the roles of primary and standby

From: jenopob <jenopob(at)126(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to auto swtich the roles of primary and standby
Date: 2011-07-03 07:35:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

hi all

my architecture follows as:
Master/Slave with Streaming Replication and pgpool-II
version of pgpool-II is pgpool-II.3.0.4
version of PostgreSQL is 9.0.2

http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/file/n4546630/pgpool-II.png

I want to confirm some questions as follows:
1.how about the performance of the architecture ,about what params should I
pay most attention to
2.when the primary server goes down , pgpool will execute the command
:failover_command
and then the standby server becomes the new primary,this is no problem, but
when I restart former primary ,what should pgpool do to change the former
primary server to new standby ,any command like failover_command to execute?

the content of
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/warm-standby-failover.html say
should recreate the new standby ,but I have no idea about this , could
pgpool-II manage the process ,I also find the command
failback_command(command to execute when attaching a new node) at
pgpool.conf ,I am not sure this command can do something correctly to change
the former primary to new standby

the question most like
http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Switchover-of-Master-and-Slave-roles-td4462251.html

thanks for any help