Re: add support for logging current role (what to review?)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add support for logging current role (what to review?)
Date: 2011-07-01 01:36:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Stephen Frost's message of jue jun 30 18:35:40 -0400 2011:

> > I know of no such list, and I think this field
> > useful/important enough that people who are using csv logging would
> > want it anyway. +1 on just tacking on the field and causing a flag day
> > for csv users.
>
> Honestly, I think it was *me* who raised the issue that we don't have a
> header for CSV logs and that it sucks for people using CSV files. We've
> changed it in the past (application_name was added, iirc) and there
> wasn't much noise of it that I recall. If everyone's happy with that,
> it's fine by me.

I don't understand why it is so much a deal that 9.1 has a different CSV
table definition than 9.0 anyway (or any two release combination). As
long as both are clearly and correctly documented in the respective
pages, it shouldn't be an issue at all. If anyone attempts to load CSV
log files into the wrong table definition, the problem should make
itself evident pretty quickly.