Re: Copy/Paste table(s) functions - git context patch

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Vladimir Kokovic <vladimir(dot)kokovic(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Copy/Paste table(s) functions - git context patch
Date: 2011-06-27 19:37:58
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 20:11 +0200, Vladimir Kokovic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Again, patch for Copy/Paste table(s) functions.

I tried it, there are some improvements, but, still, here are my
comments.

I already asked this, but had no answer. I'll ask again :) Why should
the schema be different? you should better ask the name of
the new object. Moreover, if I try to paste on another database, we
shouldn't care that the schema is the same. IMNSHO, you should get rid
of this check. And if it happens that the table you copy has the same
name than another table in the same schema, then ask the user to type
the new name.

If a user tries to copy a big table (I tried with a 138MB one), pgAdmin
seems to freeze while doing the copy. A better UI, that shows that work
is going on, would be great.

When a user copies a schema, pgAdmin launches a query to get all tables.
It would be better if you walk the treeview to get that information. I
know I forget this many times, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't do it
right :)

Why is there two times the same code? lines 1020 to 1023, and lines 1025
to 1028.

On the sequence code, why do you need it at all?

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info