Basic Tutorials for 9.0

From: ray <ray(at)aarden(dot)us>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Basic Tutorials for 9.0
Date: 2010-11-11 01:58:52
Lists: pgsql-general

I just downloaded 9.0 onto my laptop and desktop Windows XP machines.
Nether one could run the stack builder. Windows would fault any time
I tried to run it. I tried inputing the proxy server but that did not
help.

I have found many tutorials but none look like the 9.0. Many seem to
be for EnterpriseDB version 8.3.

I need a lot of help. I have seen tutorials that say to use pgAdmin
III but they only address high level functions; I haven't found
anything that gives a step by step. When I first bring up pgAdmin,
the server entry has a red 'X' through it. I played around and got it
to open and show tables and schema and things but I just stumbled on
it. Now I don't rmember how I got there. But then I don't know what
to do when I am.

I also tried the shell. create mydb. I used all the defaults but the
console came back and rejected all the defaults and closed the
console.

I would like to export an Excel file as CVS and ;'copy' into pg. So I
would like to learn how to create a new database and what ever goes
along with that to acheive this goal.

I would appreciate all help.

Thanks,
ray