Re: How do you change the size of the WAL files?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: runner <runner(at)winning(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How do you change the size of the WAL files?
Date: 2011-03-11 19:06:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 12:51 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> runner wrote:
> >

> > Our WAL files are 16 Mb in size each. I cannot find where you
> > configure them to make them larger. 16 Mb is too small for our
> > instalation. If necessary, I can rebuild the entire cluster. Our
> > DBA initialized a new cluster and specified a larger WAL size but it
> > stayed at 16 Mb. Any info on this?
>
> Why is 16MB too small? Most people increase checkpoint_segments for
> larger installs and it works fine.

To answer the question, it is possible to change the wal log size. It is
a setting in pg_config.h: #define XLOG_SEG_SIZE (16 * 1024 * 1024) .

If you change that and recompile, your wal segment size will be
different. I have heard of people running 32meg sizes. We have tried
with smaller sizes but it ended up thrashes the disk.

Further keep in mind you will have to do a dump and restore to the new
cluster. Your existing cluster will not be usable once you do this.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor