Re: Parallel make problem with git master

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel make problem with git master
Date: 2011-03-08 22:04:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On mån, 2011-03-07 at 22:28 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> BTW, how many people here have read "Recursive Make Considered
> Harmful"?
>
> http://aegis.sourceforge.net/auug97.pdf
>
> Because what we're presently doing looks mighty similar to what he's
> saying doesn't work and can't be made to work.

Yes, that's the better solution. It will probably just upset a lot of
people's thinking.

The main problem way back when I last considered this seriously was that
it wasn't clear how many compilers don't support -o with -c. The paper
doesn't offer a clear solution to that, but it might be that the problem
is effectively gone now.