RFC: Hosting mailing lists of 3rd party projects

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL - WWW ML <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-02-21 19:11:32
Lists: pgsql-www

Over the last few years, postgresql.org only hosted pgsql-* and pgadmin*
mailing lists. A few weeks before, we added psycopg2, too, because the
project needed a mailing list (since their machine died and data was not
recovered).

Before we add more, I think we need to define a policy for hosting
mailing lists of 3rd party projects.

Some of the 3rd party projects already have their own server (like
slony.info), and some of them host their lists on pgfoundry (like
pgpool) -- and we have been hosting pgadmin mailing list for a long
time.

However, there are some more projects, like postgres-xc, need only
mailing list -- not web space, etc. The current issue with postgres-xc
mailing lists is that we see some RAC advertisements appended to the
emails, which is embarrassing.

IMHO, postgresql.org can provide mailing list service to such projects,
unless they have their own domain already, or they are not hosted at
pgfoundry.

Comments?

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ