Connection Problem

From: Rob Stone <robstone(at)mira(dot)net>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Connection Problem
Date: 2010-12-07 13:29:04
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Good morning,

I don't know if I've done something really stupid or if I've stumbled on
a bug.

Run Debian on my laptop, version 2.6.32-3-686. Downloaded the PostgreSQL
9.0.1 source and compiled it following all the instructions. Downloaded
the PGAdminIII 1.12 source plus heaps of .cpp files, compiled it. I can
access the 9.0 database via psql or PGAdmin, view the database I
created, display data in tables. (Not much to display at present but
some rows exists in a couple of tables.)

Downloaded the JDBC driver postgresql-9.0-801.jdbc4.jar, put it in my
CLASSPATH, etc.

Downloaded the latest version of ExecuteQuery, declared the new driver,
created a connection to my 9.0 database using the new driver but unable
to connect to the database. See stack trace attached.

Postmaster is started with the -i option which I believe is the same as
saying "listen_addresses='*'".

Using jdk1.6.

Wrote a mickey mouse java class (testdbconn) to see if I could access
the database and read data from a table that has two rows. See attached.
When it runs it displays the same SQL error code as ExecuteQuery --
08001 -- which is the "can't connect error".

The developer of ExecuteQuery is a former colleague of mine and a
friend. We have been sending each other e-mails about this trying to
suss out the problem.

Obviously, I have installed something incorrectly OR there is something
awry with java making the connection. psql and PGAdmin talk directly to
the database without using a JDBC driver. Seeing as they are both
functioning normally, what have I done to cause java to pull connect
errors???

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Rob