Re: Trailing Whitespace Tips (was: Re: starting to review the Extend NOT NULL representation to pg_constraint patch)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trailing Whitespace Tips (was: Re: starting to review the Extend NOT NULL representation to pg_constraint patch)
Date: 2010-10-16 09:35:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On fre, 2010-10-15 at 22:45 +0200, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> I suppose people using other editors or tools will come up with other
> tricks and tips.

Here is an alternative recipe that I have been using:

(require 'show-wspace)
(add-hook 'font-lock-mode-hook 'show-ws-highlight-hard-spaces)
(add-hook 'font-lock-mode-hook 'show-ws-highlight-tabs)
(add-hook 'font-lock-mode-hook 'show-ws-highlight-trailing-whitespace)

> Maybe it should go in src/tools/editors/emacs.samples, too?

Yeah, I think we should recommend some way to highlight faulty
whitespace.

The problem is, after you turn it on, it will make you cry as you
realize how sloppy most code and other files are written.