Re: standby registration (was: is sync rep stalled?)

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: standby registration (was: is sync rep stalled?)
Date: 2010-10-05 14:33:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 09:07 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > Robert Haas wrote:

> >> That's just not the same thing.
> >
> > In what important ways does it differ?
>
> When you have one server functioning at each site you'll block until
> you get a third machine back, rather than replicating to both sites
> and remaining functional.

And that is so important a consideration that you would like to move
from one parameter in one file to a whole set of parameters, set
differently in 5 separate files? Is it a common use case that people
have more than 3 separate servers for one application, which is where
the difference shows itself.

Another check: does specifying replication by server in such detail mean
we can't specify robustness at the transaction level? If we gave up that
feature, it would be a great loss for performance tuning.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com