Re: ERROR: MemoryContextAlloc

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jean-Christophe Boggio <cat(at)thefreecat(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: MemoryContextAlloc
Date: 2001-10-20 17:02:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Jean-Christophe Boggio <cat(at)thefreecat(dot)org> writes:
> When we dump our base we get things like :

> ERROR: MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size 4294967293

I think you have a corrupted data value in your identite table
(maybe more than one, but at least one). It's corrupted in a way
that doesn't prevent copying it to another table, but does prevent
converting it to text for output. (Possibly a corrupted compressed
string?)

> Another strange thing :

> \o /tmp/somefile
> SELECT * FROM identite
> \o

> this pops the ERROR: MemoryContextAlloc...

> but SELECT field1,field2,...lastfield works

Hard to believe --- are you sure you didn't miss a column?

Anyway, I'd suggest zeroing in on the row(s) with the problem by
doing "SELECT * FROM identite LIMIT n" for various n to identify
the location of the bad row, and/or selecting subsets of the columns
to figure out which column(s) contain bad data. Once you've found
the row you should be able to delete it.