Re: What happened to the is_<type> family of functions proposal?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Colin 't Hart <colinthart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What happened to the is_<type> family of functions proposal?
Date: 2010-09-21 18:06:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of mar sep 21 13:41:32 -0400 2010:

> > So we could refactor the input functions so that there's an internal
> > function that returns the accepted datum in the OK case and an ErrorData
> > for the failure case.
>
> This makes the untenable assumption that there are no elog(ERROR)s in
> the "internal" input function *or anything it calls*. Short of truly
> massive restructuring, including uglifying many internal APIs to have
> error return codes instead of allowing elog within the callee, you will
> never make this work for anything more complicated than say float8in().

... which is what people want anyway. I mean, the day someone requests
is_sthcomplex, we could happily tell them that they need to use the
expensive workaround involving savepoints. I don't think we really need
to support the ones that would require truly expensive refactoring; the
simple ones would cover 99% of the use cases.