Re: Inconsistent index links

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inconsistent index links
Date: 2010-09-01 18:57:28
Lists: pgsql-docs

Excerpts from Thom Brown's message of mié sep 01 14:21:59 -0400 2010:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed that all aggregate functions listed in the documentation
> index direct to a page listing all the aggregate functions and their
> usage, with the exception of count, max, min and sum, which direct to
> the aggregate function tutorial page. From the index, these sections
> are indistinguishable from one another since they share the same page
> name. I'm wondering if one should be named differently, like
> Aggregate Functions Tutorial.

+1 on using different titles. No opinion your particular suggestion,
but the TOC on the tutorial needs to be consistent as well.

> The avg function is confusingly indexed only as "average", which
> shouldn't really be a problem... unless someone types in "avg" into
> their browser's find box. Maybe this should have "average" as a
> primary term and "avg" as a secondary (with Pavel's 'median" function
> to be added later).

I think we should have index entries for function names, aggregate or
Hmm, or maybe the other way around, so that all aggregates are listed
together in the index? Not sure. (but surely we don't want to have all
functions lumped together in a single "<primary>function</>").

For some reason I don't like <primary>average</><secondary>avg</>, but
then I don't like the current <primary>average</> either.

> But next to this "average" index entry are links
> to both the aggregate function sections, which are named identically.
> I raised a similar issue to this for "privileges" in the index
> previously.

Confusing index entries favor no one. +1 for fixes you can suggest.