Re: git: uh-oh

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Michael Haggerty <mhagger(at)alum(dot)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: git: uh-oh
Date: 2010-08-18 15:14:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Michael Haggerty's message of mié ago 18 05:01:29 -0400 2010:

> cvs2git doesn't currently have this option. I'm not sure how much work
> it would be to implement; probably a few days'. Alternatively, you
> could write a tool that would rewrite the ancestry information in the
> repository *after* the cvs2git conversion using .git/info/grafts (see
> git-filter-branch(1)). Such rewriting would have to occur before the
> repository is published, because the rewriting will change the hashes of
> most commits.

AFAICT, graft points are not checked in[1], thus they don't propagate; are
you saying that we should run the migration, then manually inject the
graft points, then run some conversion tool that writes a different
repository with those graft points welded into the history? This sounds
like it needs some manual work (namely find out the appropriate graft
points for each branch), that can be prepared beforehand. Otherwise it
seems easier than reworking the cvs2git code for the "mostly-exclusive"
option.

I am sort of assuming that this "conversion tool" already exists, but
maybe this is not the case?

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1488753/how-to-merge-two-branches-without-a-common-ancestor