Re: MERGE Specification

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Boxuan Zhai <bxzhai2010(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MERGE Specification
Date: 2010-08-06 08:51:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 16:26 +0800, Boxuan Zhai wrote:

> So, we need to add both DO NOTHING and RAISE ERROR actions in the
> MERGE command now !? What will RAISE ERROR do?

Let's get the rest of it working first. This would be a later extension,
though I think an important one for our developers.

> To stop the whole MERGE command OR, just throw an error notice for the
> row and move on.

As you say, it would be even better to be able to report errors in some
way and move onto next row. NOTICE is not the way though.

Maybe one of the actions would be to EXECUTE a procedure, so we can call
an error logging function.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com