Re: Named restore points

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Named restore points
Date: 2011-01-14 22:18:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> Here is a patch that implements "named restore points".

> It allows DBAs to specify an exact point to which they can recover
> but that point will have a name, so they have a better control of when
> they want to stop recovery (ie: DBA's won't depend of remember
> specific times, dates and such).

> This adds a new function: pg_create_restore_point(text) (i'm not
> wedded with the name so if someone wants to suggest something better,
> that's fine with me), a new xlog record and a new recovery_target
> parameter in recovery.conf

This seems like it's a lot of mechanism for an awfully small use-case.
How often are people actually going to have the foresight to know that
"right now" is when they would want to restore to later? And is it
really any easier to use a label for that than a timestamp? You're
still going to need to keep track of which label means what.