Re: Explicit psqlrc

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: gabrielle <gorthx(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Mark Wong <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Explicit psqlrc
Date: 2010-07-20 13:34:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 09:05 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 07:49 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> >> A further point is that it's very difficult to
> >> keep track of progress if the CF page reflects a whole bunch of
> >> supposedly "Waiting on Author" patches that are really quite
> >> thoroughly dead.
> >
> > True, but the point under discussion is what to do if no reply is
> > received from an author. That is something entirely different from a
> > patch hitting a brick wall.
> >
> > We gain nothing by moving early on author-delay situations, so I suggest
> > we don't.
>
> No, we gain something quite specific and tangible, namely, the
> expectation that patch authors will stay on top of their patches if
> they want them reviewed by the community. If that expectation doesn't
> seem important to you, feel free to try running a CommitFest without
> it. If you can make it work, I'll happily sign on.

I don't think so. We can assume people wrote a patch because they want
it included in Postgres. Bumping them doesn't help them or us, since
there is always an issue other than wish-to-complete. Not everybody is
able to commit time in the way we do and we should respect that better.

Authors frequently have to wait a long time for a review; why should
reviewers not be as patient as authors must be?

We should be giving authors as much leeway as possible, or they may not
come back.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com