Re: DB Error: connect failed

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Rodolfo J(dot) Paiz" <rpaiz(at)simpaticus(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DB Error: connect failed
Date: 2005-02-03 06:42:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz(at)simpaticus(dot)com> writes:
> Now I get this as an error message:

> Standard Message: DB Error: connect failed
> Standard Code: -24
> DBMS/User Message: [nativecode=Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server:
> could not connect to server: Connection refused Is the server running on
> host localhost and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?] ** Array

This generally means either that the server isn't listening for TCP
connections (did you turn on tcpip_socket or use -i switch?) or that
the kernel is filtering TCP connection attempts (check firewall rules
for localhost connections).

> I do know the database is running, as I can use it with both psql and
> phpPgAdmin. So, just the web page fails. Now to figure out how.

Dunno about phpPgAdmin, but psql defaults to connecting through a Unix
socket, which doesn't have either of the above risks.