Re: Poor Yum User Download Experience

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Poor Yum User Download Experience
Date: 2010-06-30 21:12:19
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 16:47 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:

> 1. The download page has three links to yum.pgsqlrpms.org. Two of
> those links have a look and feel that is similar to postgresql.org.
> The other one redirects to a commandprompt.com web site with a
> completely different look and feel, which asks you to click through to
> another commandprompt.com web site with a third look and feel. There
> should really be just one look and feel here, not three (and useless
> click-through manual redirects).

This is the case with both the main external projects for downloads (see
the one click installer for example)

> 2. https://public.commandprompt.com/projects/pgcore/wiki (which is
> where you eventually get from http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/)

This has been fixed. If you go to yum.pgsqlrpms.org it takes you
directly to the project page now.

> links to
> https://public.commandprompt.com/projects/pgcore/wiki/Configure_Yum,
> while the download page has a link to a separate YUM HOWTO at
> http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/howtoyum.php; if we need two links to the
> information on configuration YUM, both should go to the same place.

I am not sure where you see that. Configure_Yum has no external links to
a howotoyum.php ???. It has a 3 step process and a single exception.

> 3. Both YUM HOWTOs claim that they will take you to a page where you
> can choose your operating system version and preferred PostgreSQL
> version, but both in fact go to

Again, not sure where you see two (please provide more info)

> http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/reporpms/repoview/letter_p.group.html which
> claims to be specifically 9.0 packages.

What? Oh I see this:

pgdg-centos - PostgreSQL 9.0.X PGDG RPMs for CentOS - Yum Repository

I will see about getting the 9.0.X removed from that.

> Only after clicking into one
> of these packages do you realize that older versions are also
> available.

That isn't true, the list is right there on the page and is explained on
the Configure_Yum page.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--