Re: pg_dump versioning

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump versioning
Date: 2005-10-03 04:11:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>> Watching the discussion about how to handle nextval() and keep it dump
>> compatible makes me wonder: would it be useful to encode database or
>> dump version info into dumps?

> If we ever get to a case where we _need_ to use it, it would be good to
> have, just in case.

The trouble is that it won't help you until years after you invest
the work --- invariably, the version info you wish you had is for
distinguishing between different *old* releases.

I'm not real excited about it myself. My own design experience says
that version numbers aren't that hot as a way of determining "does this
data have the X nature?". If you can't test for the problem directly,
you haven't thought hard enough.