Re: PG 9.0 release timetable

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 9.0 release timetable
Date: 2010-05-31 16:24:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 11:30 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Well, they can just grab nightly snapshots and test, right? I don't
> think a beta is fundamentally different from a nightly snapshot,
> source-code wise.

There is only one difference: the signal to re-test.

Most people read "new beta" as meaning "we fixed the bugs, try again
now". The delivery mechanism is unimportant.

IMHO the amount of testing we get is directly proportional to number of
announced beta releases, since most tests get run in first week.

If packaging is the issue, lets announce packaged releases every 4 weeks
and non-packaged snapshots every 2 weeks.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com