Re: standbycheck was:(Re: [HACKERS] testing hot standby

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: standbycheck was:(Re: [HACKERS] testing hot standby
Date: 2010-05-01 12:22:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 02:45 -0500, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> >
> > How many of the tests in the regular regression suite do anything useful
> > when run against a standby server? They all have to set up a bunch of
> > objects before they run queries, so you just get a lot of errors
> > complaining that you can't do X in standby mode, followed by errors
> > about missing objects. That doesn't sound very useful.
> >

> granted. what i'm looking for is a way of continually see that the
> standby will return consistent values and yes, i want to be sure that
> we disallow everything that we need to...
>
> maybe just a new set of tests? maybe i just should make the hs_* tests
> use regression's database tables intead of the ones it is using?

The existing standbycheck does statically test for all the things that
should be allowed and all the things that should be disallowed. If its
missing some, please say.

Standbycheck doesn't test dynamic behaviour, which is more than a
regression test suite is supposed to do. Yes, dynamic tests needed also.

The most important thing now is that there are some tests in CVS and
they cover the documented static behaviours.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com