Re: recovery_connections cannot start (was Re: master in standby mode croaks)

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: recovery_connections cannot start (was Re: master in standby mode croaks)
Date: 2010-04-23 20:31:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 23:10 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> So my proposal would be:
>
> wal_mode=crash/archive/standby

OK, I agree to change in this area.

I definitely don't like the word "crash", which may scare and confuse
people. I don't think I would ever set any parameter to a word like
"crash" since it isn't clear whether it allows that event or protects
against it. Also, I don't like the word "standby" on its own, since that
has already been used for Warm Standby for some time, which corresponds
to the "archive" setting and is therefore confusing.

How about something like

wal_additional_info = none | archive | connect

Then its easy to understand that things slow down when you request
additional information in the WAL, and also clear that Hot Standby
requires slightly more info on top of that. It's also clear that this
has nothing at all to do with the delivery mechanism.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com