Re: trivial DoS on char recoding

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: trivial DoS on char recoding
Date: 2006-06-20 22:10:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Note that the PO file for the spanish translation is written in Latin1,
> not UTF8. So I can adventure that the server is trying to recode a
> string which is originally in Latin1, but assuming it is UTF-8, to
> Win1250.

Yeah, this is a known problem --- basically it seems a shortcoming of
the gettext() API. You can find details in the archives.

> Should we get firmer in rejecting invalid configurations?

The question is how sure are we whether a configuration is "invalid".
AFAIK there's not a really portable way to determine which encoding
matches a locale. initdb has a kluge that seems to work most of the
time, but do we want the database to refuse to start when it doesn't?