Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Check compulsory parameters in recovery.conf in standby_mode, per

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Check compulsory parameters in recovery.conf in standby_mode, per
Date: 2010-04-05 18:29:46
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 19:01 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > I am very disconcerted that there are still no docs whatsoever to
> > describe how the server works in these new modes.
>
> I did add a few paragraphs last week, see
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/warm-standby.html#STANDBY-SERVER-OPERATION.
> It doesn't explicitly talk about that configuration where both
> primary_conninfo and restore_command are missing (or misconfigured), but
> it does say that it polls pg_xlog. How does that read to you?

It is better, though it might mislead others into thinking I mean
sufficient, which it is not. I do not mean to be rude, but we must be
clear that a major feature requires matching documentation.

Looking through the code some more I note that their are two timing
related parameters that are hardcoded into XLogPageRead(). At the very
least such things should be #defines, though one of them was previously
configurable using pg_standby, so I would like to see them both
accessible to user tuning.

I was also surprised to note that the Startup process is not signaled by
WALReceiver when new WAL is received, so it will continue sleeping even
though it has work to do.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com