Re: "1-Click" installer problems

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Nikhil G(dot) Daddikar" <ngd(at)celoxis(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "1-Click" installer problems
Date: 2010-04-01 03:45:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 11:30 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Nikhil G. Daddikar wrote:
>
> > I strongly recommend that you start
> > supporting the win32 binary on postgresql.org site again because that
> > used to work till 8.3 and enterprisedb is failing for a long time.
>
> Oh: As for the old installer - are you volunteering to maintain it? It
> wasn't maintaining its self. Working with Windows installers is an ugly,
> unrewarding job where you're constantly battling a new variety of weird
> issues due to various breakage and brain-death on the systems the
> installer is being used on. People complain "it doesn't work" and then
> won't provide enough information to actually find out why - they expect
> you to have psychic powers and/or a magic fix-it wand. They angrily
> demand an instant fix, as if they'd paid for a product they had some
> kind of right to support for.
>
> No wonder nobody likes doing it!
>
> Are you going to take up that workload? Or just demand that somebody
> else does it?

Although I can understand the frustration, I think a more adequate
response would be:

If EDB was failing for a long time, we would hear a lot more about it.
They host the most downloaded installer .Org has.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.