Work Mem Allocation Questions

From: Brad Nicholson <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Work Mem Allocation Questions
Date: 2010-03-03 16:24:22
Lists: pgsql-general

1: Is the default work_mem pre-allocated to the Postgres processes - or
does it get allocated when needed? Say I have work_mem at 30MB - will
Postgres allocate that 30MB on connection, or only when it needed by a
query?

2: If work_mem is, say, 30MB, and my query needs 10MB - will Postgres
allocate all 30MB, or just the 10MB I need?

--
Brad Nicholson 416-673-4106