Re: delta relations in AFTER triggers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, Amit Khandekar <amit(dot)khandekar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: delta relations in AFTER triggers
Date: 2014-09-01 18:09:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> writes:
> On 08/30/2014 12:15 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> If we were to go with the hooks as you propose, we would still need
>> to take the information from TriggerData and put it somewhere else
>> for the hook to reference.

> Sure.

FWIW, I agree with Heikki on this point. It makes a lot more sense for
the parser to provide hooks comparable to the existing hooks for resolving
column refs, and it's not apparent that loading such functionality into
SPI is sane at all.

OTOH, I agree with Kevin that the things we're talking about are
lightweight relations not variables.